Call 0800 80 4663

24 Hour 7 Day Availability 
Auckland & Whangarei

What to do when someone dies

It's understandably a time of grief and sadness. Each person feels their own unique emotions when faced with the death of a loved one. Take time to say goodbye in your own time. Depending on how or where they died, there are a few processes that will need to be followed. 

If the deceased has been ill for sometime, and has died in hospital, at a rest home or a private home, a GP will need to sight the deceased and issue a "Certificate of Cause of Death". A cremation form will also need to be issued by the doctor if the deceased is to be cremated. Please do note, whilst this is commonly known as a 'Death Certifcate' it is not the Death Certificate issued by Interal Affairs.

These certificates need to be given to the Funeral Director. In the case of an accident, where a coroner is required, an official identification of the deceased will need to be done by a police officer in assiocation with the family (if possible).

Once a person has been sighted by the GP (or a GP or Nurse Practitioner has approved their tranfer into the Funeral Home's care) only then can the deceased be transferred to the Funeral Home. All of the people we take care of usually come straight back to our Funeral Home in Penrose.

If it is a sudden or unexpected death, a Funeral Director will be engaged by the police (on behalf of the Coroner) to transfer the deceased to the mortuary. It's important to note that you are under no obligation to use this Funeral Director as they are contracted to the Coroner to complete transfers.

The family is free to appoint a Funeral Director of their choice. If you are unsure at any time, please contact one of our Funeral Director's and we'll do our best to answer any questions or concerns you may have.